Meeting Someone for the First Time- ESL/ELF Lesson 1

Instruction:  Let us do a role play. You are student A and I am student B. Let us begin.

In the classroom: 

A: Hi, are you a new student here?
B: Hi, yes. It’s my first day.
A: I’m Paula, nice to meet you.
B: I’m Sue, nice to meet you too.
A: Where do you live?
B: I live here. My house is just a few blocks away from here.
A: Really? What a coincidence! I live here too, just two blocks away.
B: Wow! We are neighbors. We should hang out sometime.
A: Sure! I haven’t really seen much of the city yet since I am just new to this place.
B: I see. Where are you from?
A: I’m from Australia. I’m a Filipino-Australian. We moved here for good.
B: It’s great to hear that. So how do you like it here in Manila?
A: Well, people are so friendly and cheerful. The food is great. So far, I’m enjoying my stay here with my family and friends.
(The teacher entered the classroom)
B: Oh, that’s our teacher. Let’s talk again later.
A: Ok

1. Instruction: While reading the dialogue, list down the mispronounced words of the student and correct them. After reading the dialogue, switch roles and listen to the mispronounced words again.

2. Practice the Expressions in the Dialogue: Ask the student if he/she knows other expressions to use for the ones listed here.

Nice to meet you! 
Glad to meet you.
It’s a pleasure to meet you.
Pleased to meet you.

Where are you from?
Where do you come from?
Where do you live?
Where do you hail from?

3. Comprehension Questions: Ask the student questions about the dialogue.
  1. Where does the conversation take place?
  2. Who are talking to each other in the dialogue?
  3. Who is the new student in the dialogue?
  4. Where does the new student come from?
  5. How about student A, where does she come from?
  6. How does the new student like Manila?
  7. What is the nationality of the new student?

4. Extension Questions: Ask the student questions related to the dialogue.
  1. How about you, where do you come from?
  2. What is your nationality?
  3. What do you like about the people in your place?
  4. Tell me about the good things that you like about your place.
  5. Have you met a new friend recently? Tell me about it.

5. Wrap up: Give the student 3 mistakes in pronunciation and grammar as well as their corrections. Give your good comments first, then area for improvement and lastly, motivational message.

Comments