Free ESL/ EFL Lessons (How’s the Weather?) Dialogue for Intermediate Students)

his Free ESL/EFL lesson is made for second or foreign language learners of English specifically for students who are at an intermediate level. This is specially dedicated to Filipinos who would like to learn how to pronounce the short /I/ as in the word “hit” versus the long /i/ in “heat”. Moreover, this will also specify the words with the schwa sound /ə/. Here, you can also expand your vocabulary by learning expressions that describe the weather.

Pronunciation Target: short /I/ and  /ə/ schwa sounds
Vocabulary Expressions: intermittent, torrential, landfall, flying debris, slams, hit, gustiness and tropical cyclone

Hows the Weather?


Rufie: What’s the weather like right there?
Lily: Oh, a typhoon will make landfall in our area tomorrow,  probably around 4:00 am to 7:00 am according to the news.
Rufie: Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Last week, our country was also hit by a typhoon.The gustiness of the howling wind really scared me. I locked all our windows and doors. Fortunately, it didn’t leave  fatalities nor damaged any buildings.
Lily: Lucky you! In our case, we have to be careful with flying debris because I heard the high winds can blow away furniture or any harmful objects. It can even flip cars upside down. Moreover, the typhoon can trigger landslides and flooding in some places.
Rufie: I hope the typhoon’s path will change so your country will be safe. I heard that this month, there was massive flooding in your country because of torrential rains.
Lily: That’s true. The wet season has officially begun.
Rufie: I thought it’s always summer in your country?
Lily: Some foreigners say that because it’s hot even during our wet season. Sometimes, we have sunny days with intermittent showers.
Rufie: I see.  Oh, I really hope the typhoon won’t slam your country. Nevertheless, you have to be prepared for that tropical cyclone.
Lily: Thank you Rufie. I’ve got to get going now. I need to buy some canned goods.
Rufie: Okay, take care bye.

Words with schwa sounds /ə/
sunny
intermittent
nevertheless
tropical
tomorrow
probably
around
according
country
lucky
furniture
harmful
even
upsidedown
moreover
trigger
some
flooding
country
torrential
officially
begun
summer
foreigners
even

Words with the short /I/ sound
will
hit
wind
didn’t
houling
windows
bilding
it
flip
trigger
flooding
in
massive
it’s
intermittent

Comments